Stay tuned to the ISUAA blog for some great event-planning tips from our ISU Alumni Center team.
Meet the Alumni Center team
Your wedding planner is going to be your right-hand man (or woman!) as your big day approaches. Because of this, it’s extremely important that your planner is someone you know and trust. That’s why, today, we’re kicking off our latest event-planning series by introducing Cyclones everywhere to our three Alumni Center Event Coordinators. They have more than 28 years of experience in the wedding industry!
While Brooke was a student at Iowa State University, she started her first job in events, which would lead to many years of rewarding experiences. She was a member of the summer conference staff for the ISU Department of Residence, where she worked with all the summer conferences that stayed in ISU’s residence halls. She switched over to catering events for Hickory Park, and eventually moved to the position of catering director at the Holiday Inn and Suites Des Moines Northwest before she found the perfect job at the Alumni Center.
She loves the different clients and variety of events with which she now gets to work. Learning from this client about what’s most important to him or her is one of Brooke’s favorite parts of the job. The people by whom she is surrounded, both clients and coworkers, are what keep her motivated — as well as the high she gets after coordinating a couple’s perfect wedding day! After the drive home, she loves playing with her little toddler. who helps Brooke relieve any stress from the day.
Get to know Brooke:
- What was your first car? 1988 Buick Century
- Most unusual item in your desk/purse/backpack? A cell phone from 2005. I have a 2-year-old, so we have dug out old cell phones for her to play with!
- What’s on your Bucket List? watching ISU play for a national championship
- Strange phobias? popping noises, like a balloon popping or opening a tube of biscuits
- Favorite sound? the Cyclone siren
- Movie that always makes you cry? Marley & Me. It was one of the first movies my husband and I watched when we were dating. He thought I would like it because I love dogs. I bawled. A lot. Ha!
- Worst song to have stuck in your head? If I tell you, then I will get it stuck in my head and I will be mad.
- Is there a song that you know all of the words to? There are many songs, but the first one that came to mind was “Ice Ice Baby.”
- Favorite children’s book? Hop on Pop
- Biggest pet peeve? my husband biting his nails
- Food that you have never liked (and will never like)? mushrooms
- Favorite place on Iowa State’s campus? It’s really hard to pick! I would probably have to say the Gerdin Business Building. I spent a lot of time in that building and when I walk in there now, the smell of the building takes me back to college. It makes me think of my friends and all our classes in there. It makes me miss college!
Bry graduated from ISU in 2017 with a degree in event management and marketing. Her first job in events was an internship coordinating weddings and events, as well as marketing, for Arnolds Park Amusement Park in Okoboji. After that, she started on the student event staff for the Alumni Center, where she moved up to the intern position and, with a little good timing, was able to apply for and be hired into a full-time position after graduation. She also has experience in coordinating concerts and working with floral arrangements and other décor — all experience she gained before starting at the Alumni Center. Scrolling through Pinterest, Instagram, and email subscriptions are what help her stay on top of all new and upcoming event trends. When asked about her favorite part of events she said: “Satisfied clients!” She loves to watch the client relax more and more throughout the planning process and the event and knowing that she helped them feel confident. When it comes time for her to relax, she loves to walk her Golden Doodle puppy or play volleyball.
Get to know Bry:
- High school superlative? best smile and second in prettiest eyes
- What’s on your Bucket List? Travel to all seven continents. I already crossed off skydiving, bungee jumping, and canyon swinging!
- Strange phobias? Empty pop cans. Yuck!
- Worst song to have stuck in your head? “Friday,” Rebecca Black
- Is there a song that you know all of the words to? Anything Britney Spears or Shania Twain!
- Favorite infomercial product? Or infomercial product you have been suckered into buying? A watermelon slicer with tongs. Just don’t do it.
- Favorite Olympic sport to watch? All the summer Olympic sports, especially sand volleyball!
- If you could only shop at one store for the rest of your life which would you choose? Target – no question.
- Food that you have never liked (and will never like)? PEAS.
- Favorite YouTube video? “Walk on the Wild Side” animal videos
- Favorite place on Iowa State’s campus? Lagomarcino courtyard
- Guilty pleasure music/TV show? all things within the “The Bachelor” franchise
- Describe the perfect pizza? (crust type & toppings) Ooooh…I would love to combine stuffed crust pizza with Jeff’s Pizza Smotherella Sticks with garlic dipping sauce. Anyone else hungry?
- Go-to karaoke song “Wannabe,” Spice Girls
Angela has worked in food and beverage for the majority of her 15-year career, from baking cupcakes and cakes for weddings to a hotel restaurant that led her to first “official” job in events at the Courtyard and Residence Inn Austin (Texas) Downtown. While in Austin, she decided it was time to move home to Iowa. She landed the program coordinator position at the ISU Alumni Center, was promoted to Alumni Center event manager, then stepped down to a part-time event coordinator position after her first child was born. She knew she had to stay in the events world, even after having a child, because she loves seeing people enjoying themselves at an event she helped plan. Loving what she does keeps the motivation flowing and the lists coming. When Angela’s not making lists, she loves to browse Pinterest to stay current with trends. When it’s time for some down time, she loves to read and work in her garden.
Get to know Angela:
- What was your first car? 1989 Chevy Cavalier Z24
- Most unusual item in your desk/purse/backpack? toothbrush and toothpaste
- Favorite smell? warm vanilla sugar
- Favorite sound? babies
- Something you have always wanted to learn how to do? Farm.
- Worst song to have stuck in your head? “Barbie Girl,” Aqua
- Favorite children’s book? Bunny’s Book Club
- Favorite Olympic sport to watch? swimming, volleyball, and gymnastics
- Food that you have never liked (and will never like)? chicken-fried steak
- Favorite YouTube video? any with baby goats
- Favorite holiday? Thanksgiving
- Guilty pleasure music/TV show? “McLeod’s Daughters”
- Favorite Disney movie and song from that movie? Moana, “We Know the Way”
- Article of clothing that you are embarrassed to say that you have owned/worn? MC Hammer pants
We’d love to learn more about YOU!
For more information about booking your next event with us, please call (515) 294-4625 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to working with you to plan your special day!