Happy Monday to Cyclones everywhere. Here are five things to put on your radar this week as we start the month of May:
1) It’s Finals/Commencement Week already! The Graduate College ceremony is Thursday at 7:30 p.m. at Hilton Coliseum; the Veterinary Medicine ceremony is Saturday at noon at Stephens Auditorium, and the undergraduate ceremony featuring commencement speaker Dennis Muilenberg (’86 aero engr) — chairman, president, and CEO of The Boeing Company — will begin at 1:30 p.m. in Jack Trice Stadium. (In the event of inclement weather, which we’ve had in spades for the past week, the event will be moved into Hilton Coliseum — but you’ll need tickets from a grad.) The Dean of Students’ Office will also once again be hosting Lavender Graduation for members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, asexual, and ally community.
Congratulations to all our very-soon-to-be alumni. Follow all the excitement of commencement throughout the week online via hashtag #cyclONEgrad.
2) April has now officially ended, so make sure to take a few minutes to log your participation in “Cy’s Days of Service” — our worldwide service initiative for Cyclones everywhere. If you participated in a community service project, a regular volunteer initiative, or even a board or committee that serves the community, please log the hours your spent during the month of April and help us accurately reflect the impact of Iowa Staters during April 2017. (Oh — and send us your best photos, too, please!)
3) We hope you’ve been enjoying “Cyclone Stories” on our new CyclonesEverywhere.com website. Our latest stories are of Syria-born artist and architect Mohamad Hafez (’09 arch), NBA Development League Rookie of the Year Abdel Nader (’15 liberal studies), and the ISU women’s basketball stat crew, which traveled to Dallas in April to serve as official statisticians for the Final Four. You can also go back and meet all the previously featured Cyclones in our Cyclone Stories archive. “Cyclone Stories” is our way of helping keep you up to date on how Cyclones everywhere are making a difference. If you ever have a suggestion of a newsworthy Cyclone who would make a great feature, be sure to contact us. You can email Kate Bruns (’99 journalism) at email@example.com.
4) The NFL Draft was this weekend, and no Cyclone names were called. But three signed free agent contracts: Jomal Wiltz, Jhaustin Thomas, and Nigel Tribune.
5) The spring hiring spree continues at the Alumni Association: We have a new job posting this week for a full-time Graphic Designer. Apply online by May 12.