Here are five things to put on your Cardinal & Gold radar this week:
1) This weekend in Lubbock, Texas, the Iowa State women’s cross country team won its fifth Big 12 Conference title in six years, thanks to a team effort that helped the Cyclones 27 points ahead of second-place Oklahoma State. The Cyclones were led by a fourth-place finish from sophomore Anne Frisbie — though Iowa State had three individuals who finished in the top 10.
The Cyclone men also had a strong showing at the conference meet, finishing second. Iowa State was led by redshirt freshman Thomas Pollard, who placed fourth in 25:39.8 in his postseason debut. Pollard’s fourth-place performance is Iowa State’s best individual finish at the Big 12 Championship since Philemon Too also took fourth in 1998.
2) Iowa State is playing two home football games in a five-day period, with a nationally televised showdown against Oklahoma set to kick off at 6:30 p.m. this Thursday. Lost in the shuffle, perhaps, of Homecoming excitement and preparation for back-to-back home games was Friday’s announcement by the Big 12 Conference office that it will be bringing back its league football championship game in 2017. The conference, which has consistently drawn criticism over the last several years for NOT having a football championship game is, perhaps not surprisingly, being criticized for the decision to implement one. With 10 teams and what is apparently a final decision not to expand, the championship game will pit the league’s two top teams against one another for the conference crown — regardless of geography or any other factors.
3) Do you like to speak in emoji? Thanks to the Iowa State Daily and Fareway Stores, you can now download a new, free Cymoji sticker app for your phone. The app features football-related emojis, ISU alumni emojis, Iowa State traditions emojis, and more — and an expansion pack will be released soon for hoops season, too. Give it a try by searching “Cymoji” in the app store or by texting “Cyclones” to 31996.
4) Twin Cities Cyclones: The deadline to register for the Nov. 9 “Celebrate State” event at Surly Brewing Co. in Minneapolis is coming up this Wednesday. Be sure to register this week and make plans to be there for all the Cardinal & Gold camaraderie.
5) Happy Halloween! Check out “Ghost Stories of Iowa State” on campus tonight!