Here are five things to put on your Cardinal & Gold radar this week:
1) It’s August 1, which means everything is being kicked into high gear on campus: many students have already returned to Ames, and classes are set to begin again Aug. 22. The first Cyclone football game kicks off in 34 days, and crews are busy on campus finishing up construction and beautification projects — including the renovation of the Fountain of the Four Seasons plaza north of the MU. The iconic Christian Petersen work will be celebrating its 75th anniversary Aug. 31 at noon.
2) Iowa State women’s shot putter Christina Hillman is one of two Big 12 athletes who have been nominated by the league office for “2016 NCAA Woman of the Year.” A 2016 Wallace E. Barron All-University Senior Award recipient who has been honored as an academic All-American and the 2016 Academic All-American of the year for track and field, Hillman has been as active in the community as she has been successful on the field. The 2016 NCAA Woman of the Year will be recognized Oct. 16 at a special ceremony in Indianapolis, Ind.
3) Several ISU Alumni Association local clubs have events coming up this weekend. Check out the ISUAA Club of Boston’s brewery tour event, the ISUAA Club of Denver’s family picnic, the ISUAA Club of Phoenix’s Football Kickoff BBQ, and the ISUAA Club of the Twin Cities’ Ice Cream Social for Future Cyclones. Saturday night is also Iowa State Night at the Iowa Cubs in Des Moines.
4) Money magazine recently published an article highlighting the best value colleges and universities in each U.S. state. Guess who topped the list in Iowa?
5) August 1 is national “Respect for Parents” Day. ISU Extension’s “Science of Parenting” blog is a great way to honor that most special of relationships. Respect yourself and read on!