Here are five things to put on your Cardinal & Gold radar this week:
1) The Iowa Board of Regents meets at 1 p.m. this afternoon in the ISU Alumni Center to vote on a $300/semester tuition increase at ISU, UNI and the University of Iowa that, if approved, would be effective this fall. The potential increase, which would be the first at Iowa’s state-run schools in four years, is something the Regents say is necessary to cover a $14 million shortfall in funding from the Iowa legislature.
2) The ISU campus is seeing white lately, as white squirrels are increasingly taking up residence. White squirrel sightings date back to 2000, and associate professor in natural resource ecology and management Tim Stewart says that original squirrel’s descendants are the ones being spied (and ballyhooed on social media) today. Stewart says it’s not necessarily surprising to find the leucistic creatures on campus, even though they are rare: college campuses, especially ones with lots of trees, make great homes for squirrels of all colors.
3) A group of ISU experts recently got together to talk about body image with ISU News Service. The result is a thought-provoking article on the history of BMI, the effect of media images on eating disorders, and what associate advertising professor Joel Geske refers to as the “slippery slope” of regulating the body images used in advertising, as was recently done by the mayor of London. Read the article online now.
4) Big 12 Football Media Days starts this morning in Dallas, Texas. The ISU athletics department website has all the links you need to follow the live coverage.
5) Central Iowa Cyclones: We have two fun events coming up in Greater Des Moines, so mark your calendars for July 28 and Aug. 6.
Cyclone Night at the Des Moines Botanical Garden July 28 will include live jazz music, hors d’oeuvres and cash bar, hands-on learning stations, guided tours, and a short program featuring ISU alum Kelly Norris, director of horticulture, who will share the story of the garden’s dynamic renewal. Register online by July 20.
Iowa State Night at the I-Cubs Aug. 6 is an annual favorite. The Cubbies take on the New Orleans Zephyrs at 7:08 p.m. at Principal Park, but we’ll be gathering as a Cyclone family starting at 5:30 p.m. with a picnic in the Left Field Corner. Register online by July 29.