Here are five things to put on your Cyclone Radar this week:
1) The college basketball weekend brought us some of the best of Twitter. Of course, there was #HiltonSouth in honor of Cyclone Nation’s takeover of the Sprint Center, particularly for Saturday night’s championship game vs. Baylor. But there was also much discussion of the Band-Aids people were wearing to look like semifinal hero Georges Niang, who scored 25 points in ISU’s win over top-seeded Kansas despite taking a hard elbow to the face in the second half that resulted in blood, stitches, and — in the end — a single Band-Aid over the right eye.
And last night there was the hashtag #HiltonReallySouth, because the Cyclones were given the No. 3 seed in the NCAA tournament’s East Region last night and fans are already making plans to follow the Big 12 tournament champions to San Antonio, Texas, for the first- and second-round games. Of course, you can get your NCAA tournament fix right here at Hilton this week: The Cyclone women are expected to make the field of 64 and, if they do, will be playing at Home Sweet Hilton Saturday.
2) It’s Spring Break, which for the eighth year also means it’s “Alternative Spring Break” week at ISU. Using $1,000 grants from the Government of the Student Body, student groups are heading out to places like the Cheyenne River Indian Reservation in South Dakota to organize after-school activities for underprivileged youth; Spartanburg, S.C., to assist with home repair and maintenance projects for the elderly and disabled; Rising Fawn, Ga., to help prepare Cloudland State Park for opening; Atlanta, Ga., to help refugees; and Wellington, Colo., to assist at an addiction recovery working farm for men. This cool program is a real point of pride for Iowa State.
3) The Fashion Show 2014 is April 5. Now in its 32nd year, this event just keeps growing and growing, with awesome guest mentors/designers every year and some super high production value under the lights at Stephens Auditorium. This year there was even a unique partnership with the Girl Scouts of Greater Iowa. Read more about The Fashion Show 2014 (and buy tickets) here.
4) The U.S. News and World Report graduate school rankings are out for 2014, and Iowa State is highly ranked in several programs again — most notably in ag and biosystems engineering, which is ranked fourth overall and fourth among all public schools. Read more about the grad school rankings online.
5) And just because it’s St. Patrick’s Day, here’s a link to the ISU Celtic Dance Society’s website. Cheers!